SWCC Hedgehog Hospital Welfare Assistant
- The Hedgehog Hospital Welfare Assistant will assist with the smooth running of the day-to-day operations at SWCC Hedgehog Hospital on their working day.
- To care for sick, orphaned and injured hedgehogs.
- They will assist the Welfare and Volunteer Managers with training and maintaining a high standard of welfare throughout the SWCC Hospital, including continual faecal screening as required, training a sufficient number of staff / volunteers in parasitology and all associated documentation and training records.
- They will assist the Welfare and Volunteer Managers with pre-release animal checks.
- They will assist the Welfare and Volunteer Managers with maintaining an efficient hedgehog release strategy.
- They will also act as a senior carer on their working days, taking charge of animal care and treatment protocols and will maintain a constant and productive relationship with the vet in the absence of the Welfare and Volunteer Managers. Patient care and wellbeing must always be prioritised above any other duties.
- They will continue to maintain the strong relationships with all internal and external visitors, organisations and donors.
- They will attend regular HMC (Hedgehog Management Committee) meetings and will report directly to this committee.
- They will be accountable for ensuring the Hospital is a Bio-secure area and is compliant with current Health and Safety regulations assisting the Welfare and Volunteer Managers.
- They will assist with maintaining individual animal records.
Key Skills Required:
- Previous experience of working with wild animal rescue and rehabilitation is desirable.
- Experience in parasitology, husbandry and bio-security is desirable.
- Administration skills.
- Clear communication and problem solving skills are of paramount importance.
- Must be able to work well within a team.
- Qualifications in animal welfare
- 7 hours per day (Flexible working hours between 9am and 9pm)
- 4 days per week, which will include a Sunday
- £8 per hour
- Initially a 6-month contract.
Start date: Immediate
To apply: Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a covering letter detailing your availability for interview and preferred days of work.
Closing date: 30th April 2018
The Hedgehog Hospital at Shepreth relies on volunteers.
If you would like to become one of our volunteers please fill in a volunteer application form and return it to:
SWCC Hedgehog Hospital,
c/o Shepreth Wildlife Park
Herts SG8 6PZ
Or via email to: email@example.com
If you find the PDF is not accessible, please contact us directly.
Training will be given.
An up-to-date tetanus is required for all who work on-site
All volunteers must be over 18 years old